Home health care services are required for old people, or those suffering from any kind of disability. Homecare services have seen a tremendous boom in the recent years with more and more patient families opting to help the patient recover at home with the help of love and support of family. Old people may require these kinds of facilities to help them with their day to day chores like eating, bathing, gardening etc.
If these kinds of services are being sought for patients recuperating from any surgical procedure, stroke or accident, it can be a little tricky. This is so because home health care services are not only supposed to offer nurses and attendants but also offer doctor on call or any medical equipment that may be required in a crisis. And it is for this reason that one should pay great heed to the agency being hired.
With the passage of time more and more companies are launching their home health care services. In fact most of the hospitals now have their home care services branch. But before one chooses the right home care services there are few pointers to take into account:
- Quality of staff: This is by far the most crucial of factors. Before hiring any such agency, one should make sure that the nurses provided by the agency are trained in ICU environs and are able to carry out duties that nurses in the ICU settings do. Whether for putting on equipments or administering injections, the nurses provided by such agencies should be thoroughly trained.
- Fee charged: Home health services may come to be very expensive especially in the long run. But still since it comes much cheaper than hospital bills, people prefer these agencies. Before you go on to select any home health care provider, check on to the fee charged by several of them. Go for the package that suits you best. Some may charge by the hours, some by shifts. Also they are generally open to negotiations in case services are hired for longer period like months. Do negotiate and get the best rates.
- Go for your own customized package: Do not go by dictates of home health care agency. Rather it is the patient’s family that knows best the requirements, in terms of manpower and the kind of jobs that you would like the staff to do. Brief the agency about your expectations before hiring them.
- Should give honest feedback on the staff: It is the duty of the family members to keep a check on the staff provided by the agency and give honest feedback. Since it pertains to something as crucial like patient’s health, just in case you are not satisfied with any of the staff members ask for a replacement immediately.
- It is also important that the staff provided to you, understands your language and is able to communicate freely.
- Check on whether the agency offers good doctors on call and medical equipments.
- Initially hire your choice of agency only for a few days and after you are satisfied with their performance, go for long term package.